Monday, March 23, 2009

i never want to be a middle school teacher...

If this experience has taught me anything, it is that I never want to be a middle school teacher/junior high school teacher. I have so much respect for all my teachers now and how frustrating it is to look into someone's eyes and tell that they don't care...but I especially have respect for my 6-8th grade teachers. In high school at least, more kids care about what they are being taught because of the push for college and wanting to get good grades to be able to get into a good college. The middle school students don't have that drive yet. 

Elementary school is also easy to teach because I can play the cute little games with them to help them remember words like hangman, and pictionary. I used hangman with my 5-9 year olds, and pictionary with the 11-13 year olds. 

The past couple of classes at the middle school I have been teaching the parts of speech. Grammar is actually something that they are interested in here. my class at the middle school is about 24 kids, and its hard to keep them all interested. It's going to be a struggle to figure out how to teach them in an effective way. I am thinking of finding some worksheets online for them to practice on and not do it as homework but as in class work instead. 

This weekend i am going to Seoul again. I am hoping to go to this place in Seoul called Itaewon. It's a very international section of Seoul so it should be fun to see. apparently foreigners outnumber the Koreans there :) i also have to figure out where else in seoul that i want to see. 

i found out this weekend that I might be able to go to this amusement park near Seoul called everland. Here is the link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everland It would be as a chaperone for the middle school but still...amusement park!!! 

-me

No comments:

Post a Comment